Do You Use Military Education Benefits?

Each semester you are enrolled, you are required to complete a military certification worksheet.

Have Questions About This New Requirement?

Call NHTI's school certifying official at 603-271-6484, or email here:
Email Your CSO

NHTI Proudly Supports Our Military Personnel

It’s a privilege to have military service members, veterans, and your families among our diverse student body. NHTI has a large military student population, and we value your service and commitment to duty. We have many resources on campus to assist you with your academic goals and utilizing your military education benefits.

NHTI charges qualifying military students and dependents the in-state tuition rate, in accordance with Section 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014 (“Choice Act”), for payment of benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill and Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty, under CCSNH finance policies at 421.01.1.


Located in Sweeney Hall on the second floor, this quiet space offers you the opportunity to connect with other military students. The lounge features a computer, printer, TV, video system, and CAC reader, plus many additional resource materials.

NHTI has three CAC readers on site in Sweeney Hall: the Registrar’s Office, first floor across from the elevator, and the second-floor Military Students’ Lounge.

Steps for Registration and Enrollment

NHTI offers rolling enrollment, which means it’s always a good time to enroll for next semester! Not sure what program to choose? Review the programs of study or email an admissions counselor at

1. Apply for VA Benefits

Our goal is to assist you, your dependents, guardsmen, and reservists in using educational benefits available through the Montgomery GI Bill. Contact NHTI’s school certifying official (SCO) at 603-271-6484 x4279 or

We strongly suggest you start these processes at least 8 weeks before the start of the semester:

1. Go to the Veterans website. Click on the link for Educational Benefits.

2. If you fall into one of the VA chapter categories, you will complete a VA application to use your VA educational benefits. You can complete and submit the online application, request a hard copy application be mailed to you from the GI Bill® website, or request an application from the SCO.

3. If you complete a paper copy of the application, send the application and the required documents listed below to the SCO. If you submit your VA application online, you must also provide any of the below listed documents that apply to you, to the SCO:

  • Copy of your DD214 (discharge papers)
  • Scholarship or kicker contract information
  • National Guard members: Notice of benefit eligibility (NOBE) from your unit commander

Within 6-10 weeks, you should receive a certificate of eligibility and a letter explaining your VA GI Bill® benefits. Send a copy of your certificate of eligibility to the SCO. It’s not uncommon to get a letter from the VA requesting more information. You’ll have to answer the Department of Veterans’ Affairs request to be determined eligible and complete the process.

4. Apply for admission to NHTI. See next section for more details.

5. Once you have registered for classes, please complete the Military Student Semester Certification Worksheet (required each semester) and submit to NHTI’s SCO. The SCO will then certify your enrollment with the VA for the semester, if indicated. While using VA education benefits, you must verify your enrollment directly with the VA office at the end of each month during the semester (excluding chapter 31-VRE and Guardsmen that are only utilizing TA or TW).

Dropping classes while using military education benefits may result in a debt with the VA and NHTI. The VA will notify NHTI and you, via email, the amount of tuition and fees that will be required for NHTI to return to the VA. You will then be responsible to reimburse to NHTI for these returned funds.

You may also incur debt for the monies provided to you for the book stipend and BAH. The VA will also notify you if that has happened because of dropping classes. NHTI will not be informed of any debt incurred for books or the BAH (that information is only provided to the student). These funds will be required to be paid to the VA (not NHTI).

You can complete a Web-Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) online at the end of each month or contact the VA office at 877-823-2378.

It only takes a couple of minutes to complete. If you don’t follow this procedure, you will not receive your monthly payment. Please be aware that we are required by law to notify the VA whenever a change in enrollment affects your enrollment status. This will most likely affect your VA payments.

2. Apply for Admission

Great news: There is no application fee! If you fill out the online application, you will need to create a new account; click “First time user account creation” and follow the instructions. 

3. Apply for Financial Aid

In addition to your VA benefits, NHTI participates in all forms of federal financial aid. If you’re eligible to receive military education benefits, complete the following steps:

  • Finish all paperwork required through military service and/or the VA at least 8 weeks prior to the start of the semester (the VA may take up to 8 weeks to process).
  • Submit VA eligibility paperwork or guard and reservist tuition assistance/tuition waiver authorizations to NHTI’s school certifying official (SCO). Students receiving GI Bill® and VR&E (chapter 33 and 31 beneficiaries) must provide a certificate of eligibility or valid VAF 28-1905 to the SCO.
  • Set up a payment arrangement for your semester charges that are not covered by your military benefits. This must be done by the tuition due date. Tuition and fees are always due two weeks prior to the start of the semester.
  • Submit Military Certification Worksheet prior to the start of each semester you want to utilize your military education benefits to the SCO.

In accordance with the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, students receiving GI Bill® and VR&E (Chapter 33 and Chapter 31 beneficiaries) will be considered in good financial standing once the student:

  • Provides a certificate of eligibility or valid VAF 28-1905 to NHTI’s SCO
  • Establishes an approved payment arrangement for any tuition and fees (not covered by their GI Bill® and VR&E benefit) by the tuition due date each semester.

If your eligibility for benefits should change during the semester, it is your responsibility as the student to make payment arrangements for any balance that may be due as a result of the change.

The institution will not impose a penalty, or require the beneficiary to borrow additional funds to cover tuition and fees due to late payments from the VA.

The college will allow up to 90 days from the date the beneficiary provides COE or valid VAF 28-1905 form, to receive payment from the military. During these 90 days, the beneficiary should not experience any interruption in educational services such as being withdrawn from their course for non-payment.

Are you a reservist or guardsman or planning to use federal tuition assistance? Download this FTA PDF for more guidance.

NHTI charges qualifying military students and dependents the in-state tuition rate, in accordance with Section 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 (“Choice Act”), for payment of benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill and Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty, under Community College System of New Hampshire finance policies at 421.01.1.

4. Submit Transcripts and Transfer Credits

You’ll need to submit official transcripts from any previous colleges, universities, or post-secondary institutions so we can evaluate them for transfer credit. Transcripts can be sent by the college to or mailed to:

NHTI Admissions
31 College Drive
Concord, NH 03301

5. Complete Assessment and Testing

All students are required to take ACCUPLACER® placement tests. If you have subject-specific transfer credits or meet the SAT requirements, you can be waived from taking some placement tests. You are strongly encouraged to also submit your high school transcripts.

Have you earned AP Exam credits? You may be able to apply them!

Contact the required to take ACCUPLACER® placement tests at 603-230-4027 to make an appointment to take any required tests and to register for courses.

6. Register for Courses

Once you have been accepted into a program and completed the placement test, you can begin the advising and registration process. The first time you register for classes, you will need to meet with an academic advisor.

7. Pay for Classes and/or Housing

Tuition, fees, and housing costs for the upcoming semester are due two weeks before the first class day of the semester. NHTI provides a variety of payment options. The Bursar’s Office can help you decide how to combine scholarships, awarded financial aid, and your own personal funds to cover your tuition costs.

8. Attend Orientation 

At NHTI, we aim to make your transition here easy. Sign up for an orientation, which typically runs from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Parents are welcome to attend.

9. … Almost there! Just a few more things.

  • Submit a Health History Form to
  • Say ‘Hi!’ to your Lynx connection. Every new NHTI student is connected to an NHTI employee – they’re your LynC, your champion of success and navigator for NHTI departments, services, and opportunities beyond your classes and your academic program. 

Additional Military Student Resources

Registrar Office/School Certifying Official | | 603-230-4014

Academic | 603-230-4021 

Career | 603-230-4021 

Counseling | 603-271-6484 x4158

Health Services | | (603) 230-4043 

Accessibility Services  | | 603-230-4027 

Academic Center for Excellence (ACE)  | | 603-230-4027 

Placement Testing | | 603-230-4027

NHTI offers all the college perks and one of the lowest tuition costs in N.H.!

See why NHTI is the right place to start your college journey!

Residence Halls ♦ Student Clubs ♦ Championship Athletics
Click Here to Discover More!

Contact Us:

Admissions Office
Phone: 603-230-4011
Sweeney Hall
Hours: Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.