Becoming an International Student at NHTI Is Easy

International student enrollment at NHTI, student smiling at camera

At NHTI, we welcome students with diverse backgrounds and experiences. Our student body includes over 600 students speaking 60+ native languages. Our small class size and active campus life allows International students to engage closely with faculty, staff, and fellow students and become a vital part of our community.

We offer courses in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), which are designed to help students develop the language skills necessary for academic success at NHTI. ESOL tutoring and support services and International Student Advising are available to aid you with your studies and as you learn more about life in New Hampshire.

NHTI is authorized by the U.S Student Exchange and Visitor Program (SEVP) to issue I-20 (Application for Student Visa) forms for students accepted into Associate degree programs only. Not sure what program to choose? Review the programs of study or email an admissions counselor at Be sure to also review the General Admission Requirements before you apply.

1. Apply for Admission

If you fill out the online application, you will need to create a new account; click “First time user account creation” and follow the instructions. It’s strongly recommended that you apply at least 90 days prior to the start of the term.

2. Submit Required Documentation

As an international student, there are several documents you will need to provide to NHTI prior to matriculating. Here is a round up of these documents:

Submit your official transcripts of all secondary school and university academic records. Scanned, photocopied, or faxed transcripts cannot be accepted. If the documents are not in English, they must be accompanied by an official, notarized translation.

If you’re seeking transfer credit from college coursework completed outside the U.S., you have to provide a course-by-course degree credential evaluation. A list of credential evaluation services can be found at the National Association for Credential Evaluation Services

You have to be proficient in English. If your native language is not English, you must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam. You will need one of the following scores:

  • 500 or better on the paper-based test
  • 173 or better on the computer-based test
  • 61 or higher on the internet-based TOEFL

Visit the TOEFL website for information on where to take TOEFL in your country. Official TOEFL scores must be sent directly from the testing site to the NHTI Admissions office.

If you earn a score lower than those listed above, you may be evaluated for language study.

  • If you score between 380-499 on the paper-based exam, 83-172 computer-based, or 26/27-61 internet-based, you may apply for the General Studies program and will need to take a minimum of 9 credits of preparatory ESOL coursework for your first two semesters.
  • If you score below a 380, we cannot admit you into the college or a program at NHTI.

We can accept the International English Language Testing System test in place of the TOEFL exam. You must receive an overall score of 6 or higher for admission. If you score between 4.5-6, you may begin in the General Studies program and take ESOL coursework.

You’ll need a letter of support from the person(s) who will be financially responsible for your education and living expenses while studying at NHTI. This letter will be in English and include:

  • Your name
  • Your intent to attend NHTI – Concord’s Community College
  • Your sponsor’s relation to you
  • The amount of money your sponsor has available for your expenses
  • Your sponsor’s name and contact information
  • The signature or your sponsor and the date on which they signed

You’ll need to submit the original letter; no scans or photocopies will be accepted. You’ll need more than one original document, so request multiple copies.

You’ll need a letter or bank statement from the financial institution that holds funds of the person(s) financially responsible for you as a student. This statement must be on the institution’s official letterhead, indicate the sponsor’s name, detail the funds currently available stated in U.S. dollars, and be in English.

Dollar amounts promised by the sponsor and available in the sponsor’s bank account need to cover a minimum of one year of education and living expenses. You can download an estimated cost of attendance for international students.

If you are planning to request an F-2 visa for dependents, you must also submit copies of the dependent’s current passport and immigration documents and include the cost for the dependent’s expenses in your financial support documents (an additional $9,900 for the first dependent, $3,500 for each additional dependent). You’ll need to submit a letter the dependent’s documents, specifying the dependent’s name, date of birth, country of birth, country of citizenship, and relationship to you.

We require copies of current passport and any additional immigration documents such as your current visa, I-20, etc.

You have to submit a one-time International Student Admissions fee of $100. You can pay this either with a check or money order sent with your application documents, or you can contact our Bursar’s Office at 603 230-4012 to pay with a credit card. Please note a 2.75% convenience fee will be charged for credit card payments.

If you are an international student currently in the U.S. with an F-1 visa at another college, you need to meet with the designated school official (DSO) at your current college and complete the International Student Transfer Form. The form is available from the Admissions Office, or you can download it here.

Healthcare in the U.S. is expensive. You’re required to submit proof of health insurance to the Health Services Department prior to registration. This information is not required with your applications. You can download a list of U.S.-based insurance companies here. This is just a sample of companies that provide insurance services. 

3. Register for Courses

Your academic advisor will use multiple methods, including placement testing, to help get you into the right classes for your first semester. You may need to take a placement test, but these can sometimes be waived based on your high school GPA, transfer credits, or standardized test scores such as SAT, ACT, or ATI TEAS. Students in certificate programs don’t need to complete placement testing.

Have you earned AP Exam credits? You may be able to apply them!

Once you have been accepted into a program and completed any placement test, you can begin the advising and registration process with your advisor.

Contact 603-230-4027 to make an appointment to take any required tests and to get in touch with your advisor!

4. Pay for Classes and/or Housing

Tuition, fees, and housing costs for the upcoming semester are due two weeks before the first class day of the semester. NHTI provides a variety of payment options. The Bursar’s Office can help you decide how to cover your tuition costs.

5. Attend Orientation 

At NHTI, we aim to make your transition here easy. Sign up for an orientation, which typically runs from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Parents are welcome to attend.

6. … Almost there! Just a few more things.

  • Submit a Health History Form to
  • Say ‘Hi!’ to your Lynx connection. Every new NHTI student is connected to an NHTI employee – they’re your LynC, your champion of success and navigator for NHTI departments, services, and opportunities beyond your classes and your academic program. 

NHTI offers all the college perks and one of the lowest tuition costs in N.H.!

See why NHTI is the right place to start your college journey!

Residence Halls ♦ Student Clubs ♦ Championship Athletics
Click Here to Discover More!

Contact Us:

Admissions Office
Phone: 603-230-4011
Sweeney Hall
Hours: Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.