EFDA Program Overview
The NHTI EFDA program is designed to prepare CDAs, RDHs, and graduates of a CODA-accredited school of dental assisting to function efficiently and safely as an integral member of the dental team.
EFDA, already used in 30 states, provides assistance and additional efficiencies at dental practices and public health clinics. According to the N.H. Board of Dental Examiners, to be qualified to place, contour, and adjust direct restorative materials within the oral cavity, you must:
- Meet the program pre-requisites as outlined on this web page.
- Successfully complete a board-approved EFDA course.
- Register as an EFDA with the N.H. Board of Dental Examiners.
- Work under direct supervision of a N.H.-licensed dentist.
- Complete required continuing education coursework biennially.
The successful EFDA participant:
- Has a positive attitude and is eager to learn
- Enjoys new challenges and responsibilities
- Values upward mobility in dental career
- Is committed to the profession and continuing education
- Communicates well with patients and the dental team
- Handles stress well and is neat and organized
- Follows instruction with attention to detail
- Demonstrate effective asepsis and infection control management.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills with patients and other dental team members.
- Demonstrate the highest level of safety during treatment of each patient.
- Demonstrate knowledge and performance of restorative techniques, both amalgam and composite.
- Practice as an EFDA under the direct supervision of a N.H.-licensed dentist within the legal and ethical boundaries set forth by the New Hampshire Board of Dental Examiners.
- 50 hours of didactic (classroom-based) instruction
- 100 hours of pre-clinical instruction (working on typodonts in the clinic)
- 6 weeks, minimum of 120 hours, of clinical experience in dental office with sponsoring dentist
The sponsoring dentist must agree to support the EFDA trainee in performing intra-oral procedures (restorations) in the office once the student has successfully completed classroom and pre-clinical instruction.
After completion of the didactic and pre-clinical instruction, participants begin the 6-week, minimum 120 hours, of satellite clinical experience in their sponsoring dentist/office. The specific requirements, competencies, and clinical training will be overseen by the participant’s sponsoring dentist with support from the NHTI EFDA faculty.
EFDA participants will have four months to complete the requirements, which, with a passing grade, will allow them to register with the NHBODE and obtain an EFDA permit from the board. After successful completion of the 270-hour program, the EFDA dental hygienist or dental assistant shall be considered qualified to place, contour. and adjust direct restorative materials within the oral cavity.
Next Class: June 2 – August 4, 2024
All 100 clinic hours required to pass the course.
1. Dentist completes and signs Employment Verification Form.
Note to dentists: Once you sign, you will receive an email with a link to the completed PDF. You can forward both of the above to the applicant to attach to their application. No faxing, scanning, or printing is needed.
2. Applicant submits all requirements at the same time:
Applicants are reviewed and accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis of fully completed applications that meet all of the requirements. Payment information must be provided upon acceptance. American Express is not accepted for payment. Maximum program enrollment is 12 participants.
Refund Policy: Students registered for Business Training Center courses, workshops, or seminars must notify the Workforce Development Center in writing at [email protected] or by phone at 603-230-4022 at least ten business days for specific classes* or five business days for all other classes prior to the first session to receive a full refund minus any fees, if applicable. If students registered online or with a credit/debit card, there is a 7.0% transaction fee and $1.99 administration that will be deducted from your refund.
*Classes needing 10 business days include: Administration of Local Anesthesia, In-Office Whitening, Coronal Polishing, Monitoring Nitrous Oxide, Review of Local Anesthesia, Dental Sealants, Techniques in Dental Radiology, Caries Stabilization, EFDA and Dental Hygiene Refresher.
Students who cancel within the 5 or 10 business days prior to the first session of class will not receive a refund.
If a class is cancelled by the BTC for under-enrollment or other unforeseen issues, a full refund will be issued.
An eligible program candidate must:
- Be a RDH, CDA, or graduate of a CODA-accredited school of dental assisting
- Have at least 4,500 hours of prior clinical dental experience
- Be recommended and sponsored by a dentist with an active N.H. license in good standing
- Provide proof of BLS-HCP CPR certification and liability insurance
Not strictly speaking. There are 12 available spaces in the EFDA program. Once we have filled the class, we will stop accepting applications. Should an opening become available after that date, we will contact the first eligible candidate after the cutoff date.
Once the program has been filled, you will receive an email notifying you of your acceptance. You are expected to respond quickly to confirm your seat. The EFDA program coordinator will contact you regarding the schedule and program requirements.
Your tuition includes the required textbook and typodont.
The rules can be found on the Board of Dental Examiners website. Scroll down to Section 302.05 section Y and Z.
An important part of the program will be your sponsoring dentist allowing you to perform intra-oral procedures (restorations) once you have successfully passed the classroom-based and pre-clinical components of the program.
Students from any state may enroll and complete the pre-clinical EFDA program at NHTI. This includes 150 hours of pre-clinical instruction. To complete the externship of 120 hours to become registered as an N.H. EFDA, students are required to have a sponsoring dentist with current license in good standing.