If you are interested in furthering your knowledge in specialized topics such as children with disabilities. infant and toddler developments and participating in a practicum experience this certificate is for you. As a student, accepted into this advanced certificate, you will be eligible for financial aid. In addition, if you are currently working at least 20 hours/week in the early childhood field, you may be eligible for Early Childhood Education Scholarship Program (see below) available through a partnership with Granite State College and the Division of Children Youth & Families, Department of Health and Human Resources. All courses in this advanced certificate will apply to our Associate degree.
The courses in the Early Childhood Education Advanced Certificate meet the training and education requirements for the State of NH Early Childhood Teacher Credential Level 4. (Refer to the Early Childhood Professional Development System Guide for other criteria for this level.) The Early Childhood Advanced Certificate program is available days and evenings.
This program, along with the Early Childhood Education Associate Degree and Certificate Programs, is now also available 100% online. This program is financial aid eligible.
Completers will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of young children’s characteristics and needs to create environments that are healthy, respectful, supportive, and challenging for each child.
- Demonstrate that they know about, understand, and value the importance of creating respectful, reciprocal relationships to support and empower families in their communities.
- Demonstrate an understanding of developmentally effective approaches which emphasize positive relationships and supportive interactions to influence outcomes for individual children.
- Demonstrate their ability to design, implement, and evaluate learning experiences that promote a wide range of academic disciplines to build meaningful curriculum.
- Demonstrate their ability to responsibly observe, document, and assess children in a manner that supports young children and families.
- Implement various interventions for young children with ASD and children with disabilities across all developmental domains.
- Demonstrate a variety of Early childhood field experiences.
Early Childhood Education Advanced Certificate
|Course Number||Course Title||CL||LAB||CR|
|ECE 101C||Growth and Development of the Young Child^||3||0||3|
|ECE 155C||Using Children’s Literature to Support Young Children’s Language and Literacy Development^||3||0||3|
|ECE 188C||Health, Safety and Nutrition in Early Childhood Education^||3||0||3|
|ECE 143C||Teaching and Learning STEAM^||3||0||3|
|ECE 167C||Positive Behavior Guidance and Supporting Young Children with Challenging Behaviors^||3||0||3|
|ECE 242C||Child, Family and Community||3||0||3|
|ECE 225C||Autism Spectrum Disorder||3||0||3|
|ECE 275C||Practicum 1 – Observation, Interpretation, Assessment and Portfolio Documentation||2||7||4|
|ECE 215C||Infant/Toddler Development and Programming||3||0||3|
|ECE 270C||Teaching Young Children with Exeptionalities||3||0||3|
CL – Number of lecture/classroom hours per week for the course
^ All students taking the following courses ECE 101C, ECE 143C, ECE 155C, ECE 167C, ECE 188C will be charged s $25 Child and Family Development Center Lab fee for each class.
Program Specific Requirements
Early Childhood Education Scholarship Program
The Community College System of NH in partnership with the Division for Children, Youth, and Families (DHHS)to offer tuition assistance to child care providers who are entering or are currently in the field of Early Care and Education. If you provide family child care, or work at least part time in a child care setting in New Hampshire, you may be eligible to received tuition assistance for Early Childhood Education courses offered through the CCSNH. Additional information may be accessed here.
Day and evening students not currently working in child care will spend two hours each week working with infants, toddlers, or preschoolers at the NHTI campus child care center, the Child and Family Development Center (CFDC), while taking early childhood classes and additional lab use fee applies. These hours will be considered a component of class participation. Applicants are advised that the New Hampshire Bureau of Child Care Licensing requires certain paperwork to be on file at centers for employees and others who regularly work in child care centers. Students must complete this paperwork before they participate with the children at the CFDC. This paperwork may include:
- a complete set of electronic fingerprints completed by the Department of Safety;
- submission of a criminal record check; the background check must come back as clear or non-disqualifying: please note that the cost associated with completion of the fingerprinting and criminal record check is the responsibility of the student;
- completion of the licensing Child Care Personnel Health Form by a licensed health provider indicating that the student is in good physical health and has no mental or emotional disturbances that would prohibit him/her from caring for children in a group setting;
- Signed CFDC confidentiality form;
- Signed Health, Character, and Technical Standards form; and
- Related CFDC lab paperwork.
Students who work full time in child care may use their own workplace instead of the CFDC to carry out homework assignments with children. Completion of all related paperwork at the worksite will be verified.
100% on-line students not working in child care must connect with a licensed child care center (preferably NAEYC accredited and in operation for at least 3 years) to carry out their homework assignments with children. All related paperwork must be completed.
All students must have access to a digital camera and video-capturing device to complete homework assignments. All students must have access to Microsoft Office Student or higher.
After completing the advanced certificate, students may continue on to the degree program.
Student must be aware of the Health, Character, and Technical Standards required for this program, and must sign this document stating your understanding of what is required.
NHTI reserves the right to amend its technical standards at any time and impose them on all current students.