Federal Stimulus

A stimulus payment of $600 has been approved for all eligible adults and qualifying children.  Eligibility has been expanded to include families previously excluded due to the immigration status of adult family members, but not to adult dependents. If you have questions about this new stimulus payment or did not receive the $1,200 stimulus payment over the summer, visit this web site for FAQ and more information.  Payment may be made by direct deposit, paper check, of the issuance of a debit card.

N.H. Unemployment

Claims have been fast-tracked and many of the prior requirements for assistance have been suspended. Employment Security offices are closed but the Unemployment Hotline is staffed during normal business hours to answer your questions. The hotline number is 603-271-7700. 

While the state’s unemployment program is capped at $427 per week for approved recipients, the December 2020 federal stimulus package added an additional $300 per week for the next 11 weeks until March 14, 2021.  Gig workers, such as Uber drivers or certain delivery drivers, as well as artists and other workers considered self-employed are covered under the package. If you are unemployed and have not filed, you should do so; benefits are usually retroactive from the date of unemployment.

Immigrant Families Fund

For those that were not eligible for relief funds under the CARES Act due to immigration status and have financial losses due to COVID-19, you can apply for $500 to help with urgent needs.

CDC Eviction Ban

As of September 4th, the Federal government has put in place protections from eviction through January 31, 2021 to try to help those that are housing insecure.  Tenants should apply for rental assistance through their local Community Action Program and/or their town welfare office, and pay as much of their rent as possible. When the moratorium ends, tenants will be required to pay all overdue rent and possibly associated penalties, fees, or interest as well. The new moratorium does not require that tenants’ financial challenges be directly caused by COVID-19. The certification form tenants must sign and give to their landlords is available here.

Housing Relief Program

This program is not accepting any new applications.  If you applied prior to December 18, 2020, contact your local CAP agency to find out the status of your application.  Additional rental assistance funding has been approved in the December 2020 federal law but information on that has not been made available.

Other forms of rental and fuel assistance (heat and electricity) are available through the CAP Agencies.

Internet Access

Xfinity Internet is offering free public Xfinity wifi hotspots through June 30, 20212. Internet Essentials from Comcast is $10/month and is for those that meet certain income eligibility guidelines. For new customers, 60 days will be provided for free.  The Lifeline Program allows eligible customers to lower their home/mobile phone or high-speed broadband costs.  HUD, in partnership with EveryoneOn is able to offer free or reduced-cost internet to qualified households.

UNH Cooperative Extension

This interactive map identifies locations for free meals, food pick-up locations, free food delivery services, and locations that accept and/or double benefits for SNAP/EBT, WIC, seniors, and veterans. The information can be searched by community or the type of assistance needed.


The SNAP Program is about good nutrition and health. It provides eligible people with benefits to buy food items at grocery stores, farmers markets and other approved food retailers.  The benefits have been increased by 15% and eligibility for college students has been expanded as a result of the December 2020 federal law.


If you are pregnant or have young children up to the age of 5, you may be eligible for the WIC Nutrition Program. WIC provides nutrition education and nutritious foods to help keep pregnant women, new mothers, infants, and preschool children healthy and strong.

N.H. Bureau of Family Assistance

The Bureau of Family Assistance administers programs and services for eligible N.H. residents by providing financial, medical, food and nutritional assistance, and help with child care costs and emergency help to obtain and keep safe housing.


211 N.H. is the connection for New Hampshire residents to the most up to date resources they need from specially trained Information and Referral Specialists. 211 NH is available 24 hours, 365 days a year. Multilingual assistance and TDD access is also available. For those outside of New Hampshire, call 1-866-444-4211.

Local Welfare Departments

Contact your city/municipal welfare department to find out what services you may be eligible for where you live. Many have their own local food pantries, as well as financial assistance available to their residents. They may also be aware of other local organizations (churches, non-profit organizations, women’s clubs, etc.) providing assistance that they can refer you to. All contact information is available on your city/municipal web site

NHTI Resources

Lynx Food Pantry
NHTI Cares
Laptop Lending Program