We design, organize, and offer credit courses and custom-designed courses to help non-native speakers develop English language proficiency for academic success, career development, and effective communication.
Tutoring and Support Services are available to all NHTI students whose native language is not American English. These services include individualized professional support for challenges in oral and written expression, tutoring in academic subjects, test accommodations, and more.
ESOL Tutoring and Support Services can help students:
- Understand an assignment
- Organize ideas before or during a writing project
- Clarify English vocabulary
- Become comfortable with grammar issues
- Comprehend reading assignments
- Read academic textbooks
- Document research papers properly to avoid plagiarism (a serious academic offense)
- Summarize authors’ ideas so writing is improved
- Prepare and practice oral presentations
Our support services include:
- Testing accommodations for ESOL’s
- Support in communicating with faculty, registrar’s office, admissions, etc.
- Individualized English study skills
- Practice with pronunciation, listening comprehension, idioms
- Computer and word processing assistance
- … and more!!!
To make a tutoring appointment: Contact Rosemarie Hughes-Smith by phone at (603) 271-6484 x4410, (603) 230-4055, or by email at email@example.com.
In collaboration with other divisions, services, and departments, we provide resources and information, as well as facilitating the development of cultural competence, multicultural awareness, interpersonal communication, and conflict management in our increasingly diverse community.
- Guest teaching and presentations for academic classes
- Training sessions and workshops (tailor-designed for specific needs)
- Cultural Competence Team
- Resources & Community Network
- Student activities including the Multicultural Festival and the Cultural Exchange Club
This service assists students with multicultural/multilingual backgrounds with the challenges they face in academic studies, interpersonal communication, and cultural transition.
- Academic advising
- Initial contacts
- Cultural adjustment assistance
- Enrollment/retention assistance
- ESOL placement testing
- Placement and registration
- Ongoing needs assessment
- Follow-up progress
- Service coordination
- Multicultural events and activities
- Cultural Exchange Club advising
The Conversation Partners Program facilitates cultural exchange between native English-speaking students and non-native English-speaking students outside of the classroom environment, thereby promoting cross-cultural communication and maintaining a friendly environment at NHTI. For the non-native English speakers, the Conversation Partner Program is an opportunity to meet Americans, learn more about American culture, and practice their spoken English. For native English speakers, the Conversation Partners Program provides an opportunity to meet people from different countries and to learn more about different cultures. To learn more and sign up, contact Rosie Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org.