It is the mission of the CCSNH Accessibility Services to provide equal educational access, opportunities and experiences to all qualified students with documented disabilities who register with each college’s Accessibility Services Office. Reasonable accommodations are provided to students to allow them to achieve at a level limited only by their abilities and not by their disabilities. Assistance is provided in a collaborative way to help students develop strong and effective independent learning and self-advocacy skills, as they assume responsibility for reaching their academic goals

What is the process to access Accessibility Services?

  1. Contact Accessibility Services for a Reasonable Accommodation Plan application.
  2. Fill out the application, obtain documentation and submit to the Office of Accessibility Services.
  3. 3. If you qualify for accommodations, the Coordinator of Accessibility Services will work with you to complete a Letter of Accommodation.

We recognize that needs and barriers can change/evolve as a student progresses through an academic program. If you seek to modify a current accommodation plan, please contact the Office of Accessibility Services to set up a meeting with the Coordinator of Accessibility Services.

When should I contact NHTI about my disability?

Ideally, students with disability should contact Accessibility Services before the start of the term they wish to use accommodations. Students are encouraged to reach out to Accessibility Services 3-4 weeks before the semester starts as the process can take some time to establish.

What types of classroom accommodations are considered?

Examples of possible classroom accommodations are: extended time for exams, notetakers, or use of a calculator. Accommodations can vary based upon needs and type of disability. Some auxiliary aids that are not considered accommodations in higher education includes but is not limited to individualized instruction, modifying curriculum, or personal care attendants.

Students are required to follow curriculum and conduct code expectations as well as program and technical standards. These are the same for all students. Students are to meet course objectives without course modifications (same assignments and deadlines) and show acceptable academic progress.

What type of documentation do I need to provide?

In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, it is the responsibility of students with disabilities at the postsecondary level who are requesting accommodations to submit documentation of disabilities. Appropriate documentation includes:

  • ADHD/ADD: Neuropsychological or psychoeducational evaluation and/or NHTI Disability Verification Form
  • Learning Disabilities and Autism Spectrum Disorder: Neuropsychological or psychoeducational evaluation
  • Physical, Medical, and Chronic Health: NHTI Disability Verification Form
  • Psychological: NHTI Disability Verification Form and/or Neuropsychological or psychoeducational evaluation
  • Speech and Language: Neuropsychological or psychoeducational evaluation
  • Traumatic Brain Injury and other cognitive disabilities: Neuropsychological or psychoeducational evaluation and/or NHTI Disability Verification Form

Students are also encouraged to submit paperwork showing receipt of accommodation at other schools (high school, colleges, or universities) to aid in the process of determining reasonable accommodations although the same accommodations are not guaranteed. Also, an IEP or 504 by itself is not sufficient documentation to determine eligibility for accommodations in postsecondary education, due to differences between postsecondary education and high school education.

Disability Documentation should be current, relevant, and completed by a qualified professional. Accessibility Services reserves the right to request updated documentation to support specific accommodations. Documentation is considered on a case-by-case basis to understand how the individual is impacted by their disability in the postsecondary education environment. Documentation received by Accessibility Services is kept confidential and separate from other academic records.

NHTI is not required to provide diagnostic testing services.

How will instructors find out about my academic needs related to my disability?

Once the student receives a copy of their Letter of Accommodation, they will provide a copy to their instructors and meet with them to discuss how their academic needs will be met. This process has to be repeated each semester and for each class where you want to use your accommodations.

Please note: Participation in Accessibility Services at NHTI is voluntary; however, NHTI is required by law to make services available to qualified students. If you choose NOT to inform your faculty about your needs, they are NOT legally required to provide accommodations.

Please also refer to information posted at

This publication is available in alternate formats upon request. Please contact the Office of Accessibility Services at 603-230-4027.