Steps to Accessing Disabilities Services

Share With Your Friends

At NHTI, students must use this three step process to access Disabilities Services:

  1. Attend a Disabilities Services Information Session (view schedule)
  2. Provide documentation of disabilities
    (your most recent testing report and/or medical records).
  3. Develop a Reasonable Accommodation Plan with the Coordinator of Disabilities Services.

We recommend that, as a new student, you complete these three steps before meeting with your department head or academic advisor to register for classes. Please note: Participation in Disabilities Services at NHTI is voluntary; however, NHTI is required by law to make services available to qualified students. If you choose NOT to inform your faculty about your needs, they are NOT legally required to provide accommodations.

1. Attend a Disabilities Information Session

Information Sessions are held weekly (view schedule). We highlight important differences between high school special education and college disabilities services, rights and responsibilities, procedures, documentation, college expectations, types of supports available, advising options and parent questions. Most attendees find this information helpful. To make your reservation, call Disabilities Services at (603) 230-4000 x4132.

2. Provide Documentation of Disabilities

Documentation for NHTI Disabilities Services:

  • is your responsibility to submit after acceptance to NHTI if you want to participate in Disabilities Services.
  • that is complete and current will assist the Coordinator of Disabilities Services in developing your Reasonable Accommodation Plan (RAP) most efficiently.
  • will not be automatically sent by your school district.
  • will not be considered in NHTI admissions decisions.

Documentation should include relevant records which describe your disability and your need for academic adjustments and support. This information must be up-to-date, address your current level of functioning and support your request for accommodations. Documentation may include the most recent diagnostic testing conducted by a trained and qualified professional, such as a psychologist, educational diagnostician or health care professional. Your most recent Individualized Education Plan (IEP), 504 Plan, Summary of Performance document, or other records from high school or other schools are also helpful in planning. These documents alone are not sufficient documentation for eligibility for a RAP. Your documentation is kept confidential and separate from other records, including department records, admission decisions, registrar records and transcripts.

The Coordinator of Disabilities Services reviews documentation on a case-by-case basis for its quality, date and completeness. Documentation varies with the disability and must include a diagnosis, the professional's credentials, the effect of the disability on a major life activity, and the effect on academic performance. If you do not have recent documentation, the Coordinator of Disabilities Services is available to consult with you, for example, to provide a list of possible evaluators for updated educational documentation and/or suggestions for obtaining other documentation. NHTI does not provide diagnostic testing services.

3. Develop a Reasonable Accommodation Plan (RAP)

You are invited to participate actively in developing your reasonable accommodation plan (RAP). As your road map to success, your RAP will contain:

  • A statement of confidentiality (Note: diagnoses are not included);
  • The accommodations (such as extended time on exams) that you will be eligible to use;
  • Your learning style, strengths and challenges;
  • Your list of commitments and action steps as a student;
  • Suggestions for your faculty to support what you are trying to accomplish;
  • Release of information to Disabilities Services, requested if faculty have questions about your RAP;
  • A reminder that it is your responsibility to share your RAP in classes in which you wish to use it;
  • Suggestions for participation in academic supports:
    • Faculty office hours;
    • Academic Coaching with Disabilities Services Staff;
    • Academic Center for Excellence (ACE) activities such as: Writing Center, Study Skills and Reading Center, Math Lab, Computer Lab, Request for Tutor and Biological Sciences Tutoring;

You are responsible for informing your faculty in those classes in which you wish to use your RAP. If so, you must meet with your faculty, provide a copy of your RAP and briefly discuss the contents. We advise you to take an active part in your learning and use available resources. Stay in contact with Disabilities Services, use your reasonable accommodation plan, participate in academic coaching and use assistive technology.

Each semester you must give your RAP to your instructors if you want to use it. If you would like to make changes to your RAP, you must meet with the Coordinator of Disabilities Services. We recommend meeting prior to the start of the semester.

Please refer to:

* This publication is being revised. An updated edition will be posted as soon as available.

for detailed information. You may also request your own copy of the Policies and Procedures Manual in print or alternative formats.

Academic Center for Excellence (ACE)
31 College Drive
Concord, NH 03301
(603) 230-4027
Fax: (603) 230-9309

Beverly Boggess,
Coordinator of
Disabilities Services

(603) 271-6484 x4117

Mindy Carlisle,
Disabilities Services Specialist

(603) 271-6484 x4132