Steps to Accessing Accessibility Services

Share With Your Friends

It is the mission of the CCSNH Accessibility Services to provide equal educational access, opportunities and experiences to all qualified students with documented disabilities who register with each college’s Accessibility Services Office. Reasonable accommodations are provided to students to allow them to achieve at a level limited only by their abilities and not by their disabilities. Assistance is provided in a collaborative way to help students develop strong and effective independent learning and self-advocacy skills, as they assume responsibility for reaching their academic goals.

At NHTI, students must use this three step process to access Accessibility Services:

  1. Participate in a Accessibility Services Information Session 
  2. Provide documentation of disabilities.
    (Your most recent educational evaluation report and/or medical records; IEP and/or 504 Plan are helpful but not sufficient by themselves.)
  3. Develop a Reasonable Accommodation Plan with the Coordinator of Accessibility Services.

We recommend that new students complete these three steps before meeting with the department head/academic advisor to register for classes, whenever possible.

Please note: Participation in Accessibility Services at NHTI is voluntary; however, NHTI is required by law to make services available to qualified students.  If you choose NOT to inform your faculty about your needs, they are NOT legally required to provide accommodations.

1. Attend an Accessibility Services Information Session

Information Sessions are held by appointment.

We highlight important differences between high school special education and college accessibility services, the student’s rights and responsibilities, procedures, documentation requirements, college expectations, types of supports available, advising options, and parent/family questions. To make your reservation, call Accessibility Services at 230-4027.

2. Provide Documentation of Disabilities for NHTI Accessibility Services

  • It is your responsibility to submit documentation that is complete and current. This documentation will assist the Coordinator of Accessibility Services in developing your Reasonable Accommodation Plan (RAP).
  • Confidential records will not be automatically sent by your school district.
  • Disabilities Documentation will not be considered in NHTI admissions decisions.

In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, students with disabilities at the postsecondary level who request accommodations are required to submit documentation of disabilities to support their requests.  Documentation varies with the disability and must include a diagnosis, the professional’s credentials, the effect of the disability on a major life activity, and the effect on academic performance. Specifically, this documentation should: 

  • be current within the past three to five years for educational evaluations (more current documentation may be necessary for some medical and psychiatric disabilities);
  • be completed by a qualified examiner/health care professional;
  • address the current level of functioning and major life activities affected;
  • list the types of accommodations used and the results;
  • address the appropriateness of the accommodations being requested.

Educational documentation must include the most recent diagnostic testing conducted by a trained and qualified professional, such as a psychologist, educational diagnostician or health care professional.  It should include ability, achievement and other relevant areas, such as speech and language, attention and concentration, adaptive behavior, adjustment, and so forth. 

Medical documentation should explain the diagnosis, frequency of contact, treatment, medications (if applicable), major life activities affected before and after treatment, and recommendations for accommodations. The major life activities are: caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, seeing, hearing, eating, sleeping, waking, standing, lifting, bending, speaking, breathing, learning, reading, concentrating, thinking, communicating, working, and operation of a major bodily function; additionally, the most recently proposed additions are: reaching, sitting, and interacting with others.

NOTE: Your most recent Individualized Education Plan (IEP), 504 Plan, Summary of Performance document, or other records from high school or other schools are also quite helpful in planning. However, these documents alone are not sufficient documentation for a RAP.  

  • The Coordinator of Accessibility Services reviews documentation on a case-by-case basis for its quality, currency and completeness. 
  • Documentation for Accessibility Services is kept confidential and separate from other records, including department records, admission decisions, registrar records and transcripts.
  • If you do not have recent documentation, the Coordinator of Accessibility Services is available to consult with you about alternatives to obtain updated information. This may include providing a list of possible evaluators, agencies and resources for obtaining educational documentation at low or reduced cost. This may include suggestions for obtaining other documentation through health care providers. 
  • NHTI is not required to and does not provide diagnostic testing services.

3. Develop a Reasonable Accommodation Plan (RAP)

You are invited to participate actively in developing your reasonable accommodation plan (RAP). As your road map to success, your RAP will contain:

  • A statement of confidentiality (Note: diagnoses are not required to be included on the RAP);
  • Accommodations (such as extended time on exams) that you will be eligible to use;
  • Your learning style, strengths and challenges;
  • Your list of commitments and action steps you are willing to do as a student;
  • Suggested activities for your faculty to support what you are trying to accomplish;
  • Release of information to Accessibility Services if faculty have questions about your  RAP and the opportunity to discuss any questions;
  • A reminder that it is your responsibility to share your RAP in classes in which you  wish to use it;
  • Suggestions for participation in academic supports:
    • Faculty office hours (full-time faculty)
    • Academic Coaching with Accessibility Services Staff;
    • Academic Center for Excellence support activities (during posted hours) such as:
      • Writing Center
      • Study Solutions Lab
      • Math Lab
      • Computer Lab
      • Request for Tutor
      • Tutoring and other disciplines (for example, Accounting, Biological Sciences, etc.
  • Suggestions for Assistive Technology options such as:
    • Equipment Loan program
    • Alternative texts to supplement textbooks
    • Software, courseware, and other technology options (some restrictions apply).

Faculty Support: You are responsible for informing your faculty in those classes in which you wish to use your RAP.  To do so, you must meet with your faculty, provide a copy of your RAP and briefly discuss the contents.

We advise you to take an active part in your learning and use available resources.  Stay in contact with Accessibility Services, use your reasonable accommodation plan, participate in academic coaching and use assistive technology.

Each semester you must request copies and give your RAP to your instructors if you want to use it.  If you would like to make changes to your RAP, you must meet with the Coordinator of Accessibility Services.  We recommend meeting prior to the start of the semester. 

Please refer to Policies and Procedures Manual for Services Available for Students with Disabilities for Faculty, Staff, and Students at NHTI for detailed information.  You may also:

  • Request your own copy
  • Request an alternative format.

Please also refer to information posted at

This publication is available in alternate formats upon request. Please contact the Office of Accessibility Services at 603-230-4027; tty 603-223-2316.

Office of Accessibility Services
Academic Center for Excellence (ACE)

Library Building
31 College Drive
Concord, NH 03301
(603) 230-4027
Fax: (603) 230-9309

Coordinator of
Accessibility Services

(603) 230-4027
TTY (603) 223-2316