What is an RA?
RAs are members of the Residence Life Staff and are responsible for a section or floor of residents in a particular hall. RAs assist students by answering questions about the campus, explaining NHTI policy and regulations, promoting order in the area, acting in emergency situations, sponsoring programs, and in general being as helpful as possible. Resident assistants are responsible for various administrative tasks that assist the Resident Director in running the building as well as serving on a rotating duty schedule with the other RAs in the building.
There are a few qualifications that a student must meet in order to be considered a resident assistant candidate. Exceptions to these qualifications are considered but must be approved by the Director of Residence Life in order to proceed in the process. Candidates must:
- Have at least a 2.3 cumulative grade point average;
- Be registered for at least 9 credits;
- Successfully complete all stages of the selection process.
The selection process consists of five (5) elements. Each element must be completed successfully to be considered for an RA position. Not all candidates advance to each element.
- The RA Application, Cover Letter & Resume, 2 Recommendations
- RA Group Process Interview
- Individual Interview with the Residence Hall Directors
- Shadowing in each Residence Hall
- Interview with Director of Residence Life
For more information please contact Eric Benn, Assistant Director Residence Life and Residence Director of Langley Hall at (603) 271-6484 ext 4378 or email@example.com.
Head Resident Assistants
Being a Head Resident Assistant
The Head Resident Assistant (HRA) will assist the Residence Hall Director of their building in various aspects of building supervision and management. Their primary function will be assisting with community building, program efforts within the residence hall, and staff development. They will maintain a regular presence in the RA office and assist with any Resident Assistant staff concerns as determined by their Residence Hall Director. It is also expected that the Head Resident Assistant will play an active role in their Residence Hall’s Hall Council and be a key figure in assisting the Residence Life staff in all efforts that improve quality of student life at NHTI, Concord’s Community College.
Head Resident Assistant Qualifications
Individuals who are looking to apply to be a Head Resident Assistant must meet the following qualifications:
- Maintain satisfactory standing as a Resident Assistant for at least one semester prior to selection
- Be matriculated full-time in a degree/certificate program at NHTI, Concord’s Community College
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
Head Resident Assistant Selection Process
The selection process for the Head Resident Assistant involves four (4) elements:
- Completing the Head RA application
- Two (2) letters of recommendation: one from an NHTI Staff Member and one from an NHTI Faculty Member, preferably the applicant’s academic advisor
- 1-3 page response letter
Case Study Presentation and Interview with the Residence Life professional staff