Transition Program

Share With Your Friends

Welcome to the Carl Perkins Federal Educational Grant application page for Eligible Student books and tuition assistance. Please read the guidelines before turning in application.

Want to learn more about: Need help to pay for:
  • Balancing home & school?
  • Selecting child care?
  • Improving your parenting skills?
  • Managing Stress?
  • Tuition and Fees?
  • Books and supplies?

Eligibility Guidelines:

Students who:

  • are single parents
  • displaced homemakers
  • students with limited English proficiency
  • students with documented disabilities

Students who:

  • are enrolled at least half time (6 credits or more) in career and technical programs of study are eligible to apply for Transition Program assistance.

Definitions of Special Populations categories as defined by legislation:

  1. Single Parents, including single pregnant women
  2. Displaced Homemaker means an individual who:
    1. has worked primarily without remuneration to care for a home and family, and for that reason has diminished marketable skills;
    2. has been dependent on the income of another family member but is no longer supported by that income; or
    3. is a parent whose youngest dependent child will become ineligible to receive assistance under part A of title IV of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 601 et seq.) not later than 2 years after the date on which the parent applies for assistance under such title;  and
    4. is unemployed or underemployed and is experiencing difficulty in obtaining or upgrading employment.
  3. Individual with a Disability means
    1. an individual with any disability (as defined by section 3 of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (42 U.S.C.  12102)
  4. Individual with Limited English Proficiency means
    1. a secondary school student, an adult, or
    2. an out-of-school youth, who has limited ability in speaking, reading, writing, or understanding the English language, and
    3. whose native language is a language other than English is living in a family or community environment in which a language other than English is the dominant language.

Programs that are eligible for Transition Program federal grant assistance

The following are examples of the major field courses which are eligible for award consideration:

  • Animation and Graphic Game Programming
  • Criminal Justice
  • Early Childhood Education
  • Education
  • Engineering Technologies
  • Hospitality and Tourism Management
  • Information Technology
  • Nursing

The following programs are NOT ELIGIBLE under the Carl Perkins Federal Grant for Transition Program assistance (This list can change at any time.  Please check with the program director.):   

  • students who are non-matriculated
  • Accounting
  • Addiction Counseling
  • Business Administration
  • Dental Hygiene and Dental Assisting
  • General Studies
  • Human Services
  • Liberal Arts
  • Paramedic.
  • Radiation Therapy
  • Radiology

Application Process:

  1. All students are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for determination of aid eligibility.
  2. Please complete and submit this application to the Transition Program Director, Student Center 106, by August 15 for the Fall semester, and December 15 for the Spring semester.
  3. Do not purchase your books before receiving your aid determination award letter. You WILL NOT BE REIMBURSED if you purchase books before you are approved and sign your contract.
  4. Students must apply each semester for the Carl Perkins Federal Grant (Transition) Awards.  Please note that this program is contingent upon the availability of Federal funding.  Funding is not guaranteed and eligibility guidelines may change at any time (even after applications are in and accepted).


The Office of Student Affairs administers this program. Applications are available from the Student Affairs Office, the Financial Aid Office, the English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Tutor, and the Disabilities Coordinator or you may access the application available in PDF.  Completed applications may be sent by fax or mail to:

Donna Dooley
NHTI, Concord's Community College
31 College Drive
Concord, NH 03301-7412
Phone: (603) 271-6484 x4158
Fax: (603) 230-9308

Applications are accepted on a semester by semester basis, year round. Award decisions are made prior to the start of a semester.

Counseling Services
31 College Drive
Concord, NH 03301-7412
(603) 230-4043

Donna Dooley
Director of Counseling Services
(603) 271-6484 x4158

Jill Savage
(603) 271-6484 x4292