The purpose of this policy is to promote the health and well being of all NHTI students, faculty, staff and the general public, in accordance with recommendations from the American Cancer Society, American College Health Association, American Heart Association, and the American Lung Association.
- Smoking, including the use of smokeless tobacco or tobacco alternative such as electronic cigarettes, is allowed only in designated areas and personal vehicles. The designated areas are the smoking shelters on campus.
- Smoking, including the use of smokeless tobacco or tobacco alternative such as electronic cigarettes, is prohibited in all State-owned vehicles and inside all buildings owned, occupied or leased and occupied by NHTI.
- Sale of tobacco or tobacco alternatives products on campus is prohibited.
- Distribution of free tobacco or tobacco alternatives products on campus is prohibited.
- Tobacco or tobacco alternative specific product advertisements are prohibited in college-run publications.
- Campus organizations are prohibited from accepting sponsorship from tobacco or tobacco alternative specific companies.
- The NHTI Health Services Office will offer prevention and education initiatives that support non-use and address the risks of tobacco, tobacco alternatives and tobacco smoke.
- All members of the NHTI community are expected to observe this policy and are encouraged to ask any individuals who are using tobacco or tobacco alternative in an unauthorized area to stop. Violations of policy will be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with appropriate personnel policies and/or with the Student Code of Conduct and Judicial Processes.
First violation: $25.00
Second and subsequent violations: $50.00
All fines are to be paid within seven days of the date of issue. Payment is to be made at the Bursar’s Office. Failure to pay fines will result in the withholding of grades and degree.
* Fines are subject to change.