This program prepares students to obtain and succeed in well-paying jobs in one of the fastest growing fields in the world. Students complete hands-on training in the design and development of software applications for web, mobile, and desktop environments. NHTI’s IT department offers a sequence of stackable certificates in software development and related technologies; each enables students to develop marketable skills and earn industry-recognized certifications in as few as four courses while building credits toward the associate degree.
Mindfulness and communication training creates opportunities for growth and leadership, flexibility, adaptability, and the confidence to handle challenges. At NHTI, learning about emotional intelligence, patience, and nonverbal communication cues are key parts of the IT curriculum. Employers expect new engineers and IT professionals to be good communicators and collaborators to help them be more effective on teams and in project work.
- CL – Number of lecture/classroom hours per week for the course
- LAB – Number of simulation laboratory, laboratory or clinical hours per week for the course
- CR – Number of credit hours for the course
|ENGL 120MC||Communication: Mindful||3||0||3|
|IST 103C||Programming with Raspberry Pi1||2||2||3|
|IST 106C||IT Career Topics1||1||0||1|
|IST 104C||PC/Mobile Hardware and Networking1||2||2||3|
|PSYC 105C||Introduction to Psychology or|
|SOCI 105C||Introduction to Sociology||3||0||3|
|ENGL 101MC||English Composition: Mindful||4||0||4|
|IST 110C||Programming Fundamentals||2||2||3|
|IST 180C||Cloud Services and Windows Server||2||2||3|
|IST 140C||Database Design and Management||2||2||3|
|MATH 124C||College Algebra||4||0||4|
|ENGL 102MC||Introduction to Literature: Mindful||3||0||3|
|IST 210C||Object Oriented Programming1||2||2||3|
|IST 218C||Mobile Application Development1||2||2||3|
|IST 216C||Introduction to Web Programming1||2||2||3|
|IST 290C||IT Career Development1||2||0||2|
|IST 291C||IT Internship Search and Approval1||0||2||1|
|MATH 125C||Finite Mathematics||4||0||4|
|ENGL 294MC||Communicating Mindfully Capstone||1||0||1|
|IST 215C||Advanced Windows Programming1||2||2||3|
|IST 240C||Advanced Web Programming1||2||2||3|
|IST 294C||Senior IT Internship1||0||8||2|
|XX xxxC||Science elective2||3||2||4|
Graduates are able to:
- Demonstrate sophisticated applications of computer technology to be competent on a professional level.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills needed to obtain and sustain a career in information technology.
- Identify and resolve technical problems using research techniques and troubleshooting .
- Design, develop, and debug a software application.
- Configure devices, applications, and services to deploy and run software applications.
- Perform software development activities using industry-standard methodologies on different platforms.
- Design data management solutions for use by software applications.
Graduates can enter into the following professions (not an inclusive list):
- IT help desk technician
- Entry-level software developer
- Junior-level software developer
The program also prepares students for the CompTIA A+ certification and the Microsoft Technology Associate certification exams.
Students are required to complete a senior internship in the area of their concentration and career goals. The
internship provides real-life experience applying skills learned in the classroom. Employers work closely with the students and professors to ensure an environment that enhances their education, provides experience, and
introduces them to the IT business environment.