This certificate program focuses on enhancing the leadership skills of coach and athlete. Courses emphasize topics that foster successful coaching strategies at any level. This specialization is designed for those interested in athletic coaching while offering professional development for existing coaches through an exploration of relevant topics. The curriculum develops a working knowledge of the skills needed to coach successfully and to facilitate a transfer to a four-year college or university program. This program is financial aid-eligible.
- CL – Number of lecture/classroom hours per week for the course
- LAB – Number of simulation laboratory, laboratory or clinical hours per week for the course
- CR – Number of credit hours for the course
|ENGL 120C/COMM 120C||Communication||3||0||3|
|HLTH 150C||Introduction to Personal Wellness||1||1||1|
|PHIL 242C||Contemporary Ethical Issues||3||0||3|
|BIOL 129C||Introduction to Sports Nutrition||3||0||3|
|HLTH 120C||Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries||3||2||4|
|HLTH 125C||Coaching Principles I||3||0||3|
- Students will communicate effectively.
- Students will employ vocabulary pertinent to health science.
- Students will complete research and analyze popular ergogenic aids.
- Students will use critical thinking.
- Students will apply the scientific method.
- Students will evaluate dietary intakes and physical activity throughout the human lifespan.
- Students will demonstrate the application of scientific technology.
- Students will practice lab safety procedures.
- Students will utilize current technology to collect, analyze, and present data.
- Students will express quantitative and qualitative scientific knowledge.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of human anatomy and physiology.
- Students will compare human health and disease states.
Click here for the full PDF of learning outcomes.
Graduates can enter into the following professions (not an inclusive list):
- Fitness specialist with coaching skills
- College coach
- Recreational team coach
- Youth sports coach