The  goal of the School Certifying Official for Military Education Benefits in the Registrar’s Office at NHTI is to assist veterans and their dependents, guardsmen, and reservists to access educational benefits available through the Montgomery GI Bill. Whether you are a new, returning, or transferring student, we will help guide you to the resources you need to make the most of your NHTI experience. NHTI’s School Certifying Official may be contacted at  (603) 271-6484 x4279 or

Step 1

Go to the Veterans website. Click on the link for Educational Benefits.

Step 2

If you fall into one of the VA Chapter categories complete a VA application to use your VA Educational Benefits. You can do this in one of two ways:

  1. Complete and submit the online application or request a hardcopy application to be mailed to you from the GI Bill website. Print a copy for your records; then transmit.
  2. OR request from NHTI’s School Certifying Official.

Step 3

If you complete a paper copy of the application, send the application and any of the below listed documents that apply to you, to NHTI’s School Certifying Official. If you submit your VA application online, you must also provide any of the below listed documents that apply to you, to NHTI’s School Certifying Official.

  • Copy of your DD214 (discharge papers)
  • Scholarship or Kicker Contract Information
  • Notice of Benefit Eligibility (NOBE) from your Unit Commander if you are in the National Guard

Within 6-10 weeks you should receive a certificate of eligibility and a letter explaining your VA GI Bill® benefits. Provide a copy of the certificate of eligibility to the School Certifying Official. Keep in mind that it is not uncommon to get a letter from the VA requesting more information. You will have to answer the Department of Veterans’ Affairs request to be determined eligible and complete the process.

Step 4

Apply for Admission to NHTI. You can apply either online or contact the Admissions Office.

You should review the cost of tuition, fees and books for attending classes at NHTI.

Step 5

Once you have registered for classes and the School Certifying Official for Military Educational Benefits certifies your enrollment for a semester, you must verify your enrollment directly with the VA Office at the end of each month during the semester (excluding Chapters 31, 33 and 35). You can do this in one of two ways:

  1. Complete a Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.) online at the end of each month.
  2. Contact the VA Office at its toll free number (877) 823-2378.

It only takes a couple of minutes to complete. If you don’t follow this procedure, you will not receive your monthly payment.

Please be aware that we are required by law to notify the VA whenever a change in enrollment affects your enrollment status. This will most likely affect your VA payments.

Are you a Reservist or Guardsman? Planning to use Federal Tuition Assistance?

Please go to the following link for further information: How to Apply for Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)

Planning to use other Financial Aid?

You may qualify for additional federal and/or state financial aid in addition to Veterans Benefits. Find out more about applying for Federal Aid.

GI Bill is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. Government Website