Cross Country Teams Excel at Rivier Invitational
The NHTI cross country teams began their season on Saturday September 19 at the Rivier University Cross Country Invitational. There were seven colleges competing. Raquel Gelinas (left) of NHTI won the women’s 5K race with a time of 21:32. Other NHTI women finishers were Claire Bilik (11th at 24:43), Ryleigh Lorimer (19th at 26:20), Regan Coyle (23rd at 27:53), Ruby Jones (35th at 30:20), and Julia Glisson (40th at 32: 11).
The NHTI men’s team also dominated their race. A perfect score in cross country is 15 (the lowest and best possible team score). The NHTI men achieved a score of 16. Brendan McCoo won the men’s race with a time of 27:34. Other men NHTI finishers were: Cody Roberge (2nd at 28:14), Dylan Tuttle (3rd at 29:14), Derek Burton (4th at 29:17), Ryan Lynch (6th at 29:29), Greg Keilig (7th at 29: 39), Steven Krejckant (9th at 29:48, Oscar Castillo (11th at 30:06), Tim Kneuer (17th at 31:31), Kris Hewes (21st at 32:12), Mitchell Deneault (24th at 32:49), Chaim Tendler (29th at 35: 27), and Kyle Sims (33rd at 36:10).
Both Gelinas and McCoo earned YSCC Player of the Week awards in Cross Country for their performances (see below).
NHTI student athletes earned six out of eight Player of the Week Awards in the Yankee Small College Conference (YSCC) this week.
- Spencer Coronis (Newport, NH) picked up the award for golf. Coronis led the Lynx to a first place finish at Sable Oaks Golf Course in South Portland, Maine last week, finishing second overall with a score of 88 in the SMCC Invitational.
- Michell Indriago (Caracas, Venezuela) earned the men’s soccer honors. The junior goal keeper notched eight saves in a 2-0 week for the Lynx. Indriago recorded six saves in a 3-0 win over Vermont Tech to net his first shutout of the season. NHTI is currently 4-1-1 overall and 3-0 in the YSCC West Division.
- Brendan McCoo (Pembroke, NH) took first place last week at the Rivier University Invitational, finishing the 8K course in a time of 27:34 to lead the Lynx to the team victory to earn the men’s cross country award.
- Raquel Gelinas (Pembroke, NH) took first place in the Rivier University Invitational last week, finishing the 5K course in a time of 21:32 to lead the Lynx to a third place finish to earn the women’s cross country award.
- Shannon Hart (Swanzey, NH) scored six goals in two games last week on only nine shots on goal as the freshman forward helped the Lynx to a 2-0 week in women's soccer. She netted a hat-trick in each game.
- Jenna Beaulieu (Troy, NH) had an outstanding week at the plate, posting a .545 average in four games for the Lynx softball team. Beaulieu notched six hits, scored seven runs, and knocked in another four as NHTI went 5-0 on the week.
Ignatio (Nacho) Hernando enrolled at NHTI during the fall semester of 2012 and decided that, after playing soccer and running track in high school, he would join the NHTI cross country team. He quickly become the fastest runner that NHTI has ever had, and is now competing in cross country for Southern New Hampshire University.
Nacho celebrates a victory at NHTI in years past
The UMass Dartmouth Invitational was held on Saturday September 19. There were 43 Division 2 schools competing, with 324 total runners. Nacho won the 8k race by 1.40 seconds, with a time of 25:13.61. It is amazing to think that someone who started competing in this sport at NHTI just three years ago could win a race with such competition.
This just goes to show that you never know what talents you might have until you try them out. If you want to try to become the next Nacho, contact Perry Seagroves, email@example.com.
Sept 24, 2015