Enroll as a International Student in Just a Few Simple Steps

At NHTI, we welcome students with diverse backgrounds and experiences. Our student body includes over 600 students speaking 60+ native languages. Our small class size and active campus life allows International students to engage closely with faculty, staff, and fellow students and become a vital part of our community.

We offer courses in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), which are designed to help students develop the language skills necessary for academic success at NHTI. ESOL tutoring and support services and International Student Advising are available to aid you with your studies and as you learn more about life in New Hampshire.

NHTI is authorized by the U.S Student Exchange and Visitor Program (SEVP) to issue I-20 (Application for Student Visa) forms for students accepted into Associate degree programs only. Not sure what program to choose? Review the programs of study or email us at [email protected]

1. Apply for Admission

Great news: There is no application fee! If you fill out the online application, click “First time user account creation” and follow the instructions. Otherwise, you can download our application, fill it out, and return it to [email protected].

2. Submit Required Documentation

As an international student, there are several documents you will need to provide to NHTI:

Submit your official transcripts of all secondary school and university academic records. Scanned, photocopied, or faxed transcripts cannot be accepted. If the documents are not in English, they must be accompanied by an official, notarized translation.

If you’re seeking transfer credit from college coursework completed outside the U.S., you have to provide a course-by-course degree credential evaluation. A list of credential evaluation services can be found at the National Association for Credential Evaluation Services

You have to be proficient in English. If your native language is not English, you must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam. You will need one of the following scores:

  • 500 or better on the paper-based test
  • 173 or better on the computer-based test
  • 61 or higher on the internet-based TOEFL

Visit the TOEFL website for information on where to take TOEFL in your country. Official TOEFL scores must be sent directly from the testing site to the NHTI Admissions office.

If you earn a score lower than those listed above, you may be evaluated for language study.

  • If you score between 380-499 on the paper-based exam, 83-172 computer-based, or 26/27-61 internet-based, you may apply for the General Studies program and will need to take a minimum of 9 credits of preparatory ESOL coursework for your first two semesters.
  • If you score below a 380, we cannot admit you into the college or a program at NHTI.

International students already in the U.S. may complete an on-campus Institutional Language Assessment to determine their English proficiency.  NHTI also accepts the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test in place of the TOEFL exam. Students must receive an overall score of 6 or higher for admission into a major. Students who score between 4.5-6 may begin in the General Studies program and take preparatory coursework.

You’ll need a letter of support from the person(s) who will be financially responsible for your education and living expenses while studying at NHTI. This letter will be in English and include:

  • Your name
  • Your intent to attend NHTI – Concord’s Community College
  • Your sponsor’s relation to you
  • The amount of money your sponsor has available for your expenses
  • Your sponsor’s name and contact information
  • The signature or your sponsor and the date on which they signed

You’ll need to submit the original letter; no scans or photocopies will be accepted. You’ll need more than one original document, so request multiple copies.

You’ll need a letter or bank statement from the financial institution that holds funds of the person(s) financially responsible for you as a student. This statement must be on the institution’s official letterhead, indicate the sponsor’s name, detail the funds currently available stated in U.S. dollars, and be in English.

Dollar amounts promised by the sponsor and available in the sponsor’s bank account need to cover a minimum of one year of education and living expenses. You can download an estimated cost of attendance for international students.

If you are planning to request an F-2 visa for dependents, you must also submit copies of the dependent’s current passport and immigration documents and include the cost for the dependent’s expenses in your financial support documents (an additional $9,900 for the first dependent, $3,500 for each additional dependent). You’ll need to submit a letter the dependent’s documents, specifying the dependent’s name, date of birth, country of birth, country of citizenship, and relationship to you.

We require copies of current passport and any additional immigration documents such as your current visa, I-20, etc.

You have to submit a one-time International Student Admissions fee of $100. You can pay this either with a check or money order sent with your application documents, or you can contact our Bursar’s Office at 603 230-4012 to pay with a credit card. Please note a 2.75% convenience fee will be charged for credit card payments.

If you are an international student currently in the U.S. with an F-1 visa at another college, you need to meet with the designated school official (DSO) at your current college and complete the International Student Transfer Form. The form is available from the Admissions Office, or you can download it here.

Healthcare in the U.S. is expensive. You’re required to submit proof of health insurance to the Health Services Department prior to registration. This information is not required with your applications. You can download a list of U.S.-based insurance companies here. This is just a sample of companies that provide insurance services. 

3. Register for Courses

Your academic advisor will help you registered for courses and introduce you to the Student Information System, which gives you full access to online information such test dates, assignments, and grades.

You may need to take a placement test for a particular course; these can often be waived based on your high school GPA, transfer credits, or standardized test scores such as SAT and ACT. Have you earned AP Exam credits? You may be able to apply them!

What's Next?

Apply for Housing

Looking for the full college experience? Live on campus in one of our 3 residence halls. There are a lot of options, like mixed-gender and CHILL communities. Check out Residence Life to learn more and apply for on-campus housing.

Plan Your Payment

Tuition is due 2 weeks before you start classes – the Bursar’s office can help you sort through all the options, including payment plans, scholarships, and how financial aid impacts your bill. 

Visit Campus

At NHTI, we aim to make your transition here easy. Sign up for an orientation, which typically runs from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Bring a friend or your parents; we’ll show you around and answer all your questions. 

File Health Documents

If you’re a student athlete, an Allied Health student, or planning to live on campus, Health Services needs a record of your health history. Download the form and instructions on the Health Services page.

Chat with Admissions!

chat loading...

Contact Us:

Admissions Office
Phone: 603-230-4011
[email protected]
Hours: Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.; Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.