Transition Program

The Transition Program is a federally funded program which provides assistance and support to individuals in transition such as single pregnant women, single parents, displaced homemakers, individuals with documented disabilities, and individuals with limited English proficiency who are matriculated students at NHTI. It has been in existence for over ten years (formerly called the Single Parent/Displaced Homemaker Program) and has helped hundreds of women and men to obtain degrees and to launch careers.

Students must be enrolled in a career or technical degree, diploma, professional certificate, or certificate program and only core courses within those programs will be eligible for consideration.  General Studies major does not qualify for this program. Please check with director to find out if you qualify.  Program requirements may change at any time.

Financial assistance is available to pay for such costs as tuition and/or books. The Program Director helps students to reach their goals by meeting with students in the beginning of each semester.  Students need to apply each semester to remain in program, maintain at least a 2.0 GPA, and be in an approved program major to continue in the program. This scholarship is funded by the U.S. Department of Education as part of the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006 as awarded by the NH Department of Education.

Criteria include:

  • You must be either a single pregnant woman, a single parent, a displaced homemaker, have a documented disability or be of limited English proficiency;
  • You must be a matriculated student in a career or technical degree, professional certificate, or certificate program;
  • You must be registered for 6 credits or more;
  • You must complete a Transition Program application by the established deadline.
  • You must apply each semester to continue in the program.

The Office of Student Affairs administers this program. Applications are available from the Student Affairs Office, the Financial Aid Office, the English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Tutor, and the Coordinator of Accessibility Services or you may access the applications here in PDF.