The Dental Continuing Education Program at NHTI, in collaboration with the NH Division of Public Health Services Oral Health Program offers this continuing education course series for dental hygienists who provide services in public health settings and for dental hygienists desiring to become NH Certified Public Health Dental Hygienists (CPHDH). This continuing education series meets course requirements set forth by the NH Board of Dental Examiners (BODE) and provides participants with the most current information to optimally deliver dental hygiene services in alternative dental settings. Required courses currently leading to the CPHDH certification are offered on a rotating basis and can be taken in any order. Since it involves learning a clinical skill, it is recommended that Caries Stabilization be taken as close to the time of CPHDH application to the BODE as possible, so as to minimize time between learning the technique and implementation. Space is limited – register early!
Core Courses (required for CPHDH):
- Evidence-Based Dentistry for the Dental Professional
- Infection Control in Alternative Dental Settings
- Medical Management in Public Health Dental Settings
- Medical Records Management
- Caries Stabilization
- Managing the Special Needs Patient
- Navigating the Challenges of Long Term Care Settings
- The Many Facets and Faces of Dental Public Health
To qualify as a CPHDH in NH, dental hygienists must:
- Practice for 3200 hours (1600 within 2 years prior to certification)
- Be qualified in dental sealants
- Complete specified courses within 4 years prior to certification, and
- Register with, and submit proof of completion of all requirements to the NH BODE
- Receive certification from the NH BODE
For important details on the new law refer to RSA 317-A:21-e and Den 302.07 at
For course information contact the Business Training Center at (603) 230-4022.
Fall 2017 Dental Public Health Course Schedule:
Date: Saturday, October 14, 2017, 8:30 am – 12:30 pm
Price: $160 CEUs: 6
Instructor: Lisa Scott, CDA, RDH, M.Ed., and Connie George, RDH, M.Ed.
This required class meets once as a group, followed by individual completion of required online activities. Topics discussed assist public health dental hygienists to understand and comply with legal requirements to properly handle patient medical records. Key concepts of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), and NH law regarding client abuse are included. Participants draft a Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA) and are required to complete learning activities prior to class end date.
Dates: Class Meeting: Wednesday, October 4, 2017, 6-8 pm
Online portion: October 4 - 25
Price: $195 CEUs: 8
Instructors: Connie George, RDH, M.Ed.
SPACE IS LIMITED - REGISTER EARLY
OL These courses have an on-line component. Students are required to have a personal email address (not the office email address), internet access, and possess basic computer skills.