Plagiarism/Cheating Policy and Procedures

  1. Faculty will gather all material evidence (e.g., papers, crib notes, copied materials and the source(s) from which it came, et al.) If the charges have arisen from an inconsistency in quality, prior work samples, along with the work in question, should be presented to the student. Names of those who have pertinent knowledge of the situation will also be presented.
  2. Once the information is gathered a meeting between the individual faculty member and the accused should be held within 5 class days (or within 5 business days of a final exam) to discuss the matter. All parties shall maintain confidentiality at this point. The faculty member, however, may seek advice/counsel from his/her Department Chair. The student may seek advice/counsel from an individual of his/her choice.
  3. Following the meeting the faculty member shall have the following options available if he/she feels disciplinary action is warranted:
    1. Have the student redo the assignment or do a different assignment;
    2. Reduce the student's grade a specified amount;
    3. Give the student an “F” grade for the assignment;
    4. Give the student an “AF” or “F” grade for the course;
    5. Issue the student a letter of sanction (copies to Registrar and student's Department Chair);
    6. Other options as appropriate, not including those outlined in IV. below.
  4. Options available needing the approval of the Department Chair and Vice President of Academic Affairs:
    1. Suspend the student from the program or the College for one semester;
    2. Suspend the student from the program or the College for more than one semester;
    3. Dismiss the student from the program or the College;
      The faculty member's decision will be put in writing to the student within two class days of the meeting. If another student, not in the class, was complicit in the cheating/plagiarism, the faculty member has the obligation to pursue disciplinary action against that student. Disciplinary action against a student not in the class would be limited to III., E. and F. or IV., A.-C. above.
  5. A student may appeal actions covered in number III., A.-D. above through the Grade Appeal/Grade Change process; a student may appeal actions covered in III., E. and IV., A.-C. above through the Student Judicial process (see the Student Code of Conduct and Judicial Process section of the Student Handbook).



31 College Drive
Concord, NH 03301
(603) 230-4011