What is an RA?
RAs are members of the Residence Life Staff and are responsible for a section or floor of residents in a particular hall. RAs assist students by answering questions about the campus, explaining NHTI policy and regulations, promoting order in the area, acting in emergency situations, sponsoring programs, and in general being as helpful as possible. Resident assistants are responsible for various administrative tasks that assist the Resident Director in running the building as well as serving on a rotating duty schedule with the other RAs in the building.
There are several qualifications that a student must meet in order to be considered as a resident assistant candidate. Exceptions to these qualifications are rare and must be approved by the Director of Residence Life in order to proceed in the process. Candidates must:
- Have lived on campus at least one semester;
- Must have at least a 2.5/4.0 cumulative grade point average;
- Must be matriculated in a degree/certificate program;
- Successfully complete all stages of the selection process.
The selection process consists of six (6) elements. Each element must be completed successfully to be considered for an RA position. Not all candidates advance to all the elements.
- The RA Application, Cover Letter & Resume, 2 Recommendations
- Completion of at least 1 of 6 workshops offered by the Selection Committee for RA Candidates
- RA Group Interview
- Individual Interview with RDs/Head RAs
- Interview with Director of Residence Life
For more information contact Nicholas Gagner, Residence Director of North Hall, 271-6484 x4378.