|Course Number||Course Title||CL||LAB||CR|
|PL 101||Foundations of Paralegal Studies||2||0||2|
|PL 103||Causes of Action in Contract and Tort||2||0||2|
|PL 104||Legal Research+||3||0||3|
|PL 110||Litigation and Trial Preparation||3||0||3|
|LNC 101||Legal Nurse Consulting||1||0||1|
|LNC 102||Risk Management||1||0||1|
|LNC 103||Administrative Law||1||0||1|
|LNC 104||Healthcare Law||2||0||2|
|LNC 105||Legal and Healthcare Ethics||1||0||1|
|+ A $100 fee will be assessed for all students taking PL 104. This fee will cover costs associated with ABA dues, Lexus/Nexus, Franklin Pierce Law Center Library, Supreme Court Library and PLS Associate Membership.|
CL - Number of lecture/classroom hours per week for the course
Curriculum for students entering program in 2014-15.
The Legal Nurse Consultant Certificate program is approved by the American Bar Association (ABA) and is designed to prepare students to perform effectively in today’s legal and healthcare communities. Designed for experienced Registered Nurses who are interested in combining their clinical expertise with specialized legal knowledge enabling them to serve as consultants and liaisons to the legal and healthcare profession. The program will provide the legal knowledge required to evaluate, analyze and offer informed opinions on the delivery of healthcare and resulting outcomes. The program of study combines business and legal theory and analysis with practical field experience.
LNCs are professional nurses with clinical expertise and training in the law. They provide an invaluable service to both the medical and legal professions. LNCs serve in a variety of settings including hospitals and other health care facilities, insurance companies, law firms, medical malpractice and workers’ compensation organizations, and private LNC practices. Even though the legal nurse consultant can perform many tasks performed by an attorney, legal work performed by a LNC must be under the supervision and direction of an attorney. The Legal Nurse Consultant may not give legal advice, represent a client in court or engage in the unauthorized practice of law.
Legal Nurse Consultant Certificate Program graduates will be exposed during their course of studies to the legal system and the role of the legal nurse consultant/paralegal within the profession, the ethical rules governing lawyers, paralegals, nurses and doctors and the operation of a law office and a healthcare facility. Through the course sequence in the certificate program, NHTI’s graduates will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the legal system and master the litigation process.
- Utilize legal research skills to analyze issues related to damages, causation, liability within the legal process as well as guidelines and regulatory issues related to the healthcare industry.
- Examine the insurance and healthcare industries as they relate to medical-legal issues.
- Review, summarize and analyze medical records and other pertinent healthcare and legal documents for use in litigation or other medical-legal matters.
- Draft legal documents under supervision of an attorney and prepare opinions.
- Identify the role of the Legal Nurse Consultant and the ethical responsibilities associated with performing legal services.
This program is available evenings and weekends only and may be completed in one calendar year. This program is “financial aid eligible.” To be eligible for federal financial aid, students must submit an official, final high school transcript, or the equivalent documentation that demonstrates high school completion, to the NHTI Admissions Office.
Specific Admission Requirements
45 college credits in general education courses from an accredited institution (consistent with the requirements of the American Bar Association, which approves this Certificate).
- 18 of these credits must meet distribution and content requirements designated by the ABA, in at least three (3) different disciplines such as English, foreign languages, humanities, mathematics and natural science.
- Submit proof of active RN license.
- Submit work verification form demonstrating 6,000 hours of practice (download the work verification form in PDF format or call (603) 230-4011 to request a copy in print).
- Two confidential letters of reference (download a reference form in PDF format or call (603) 230-4011 to request a copy in print).
- Two-hundred word essay regarding reasons for choosing the Legal Nurse Consultant Program (used to help evaluate writing skills).
- Submit official high school and college transcripts. (High School transcripts need only be submitted if applying for financial aid.)
Internships allow the students to apply academic theory in the professional world by combining learning and work experience. Students will have the opportunity to gain experience, build a professional network and test-drive an employer and a career. Students are expected to exercise sound judgment, accept direction and guidance and respect client confidentiality.
NHTI has developed excellent practicum opportunities for our students to foster hands-on learning while simultaneously receiving credit. Nonetheless, the college's first priority must be to ensure that patients/clients/children/families are not placed in jeopardy by students during learning experiences. Therefore, students in internship, externship, practicum, service learning, and clinical experiences must demonstrate sufficient emotional stability to withstand the stresses, uncertainties and changing circumstances that characterize patient/client/child/family responsibilities. Furthermore, the student is expected to have the emotional stability required to exercise sound judgment, accept direction and guidance from a supervisor or faculty member and establish rapport and maintain sensitive interpersonal relationships and confidentiality with employees, customers and/or patients/clients/children and their families.