|Course Number||Course Title||CL||LAB||CR|
|TECP 50||Introduction to Exceptionalities||3||0||3|
|TECP 51||Foundations of Education||3||0||3|
|TECP 60||Supporting Students with Challenging Behavior||3||0||3|
|TECP 61||Legal Issues in Education||3||0||3|
|TECP 63||Instructional Technology||3||0||3|
|TECP 69||Cross-Cultural Education: Professional Learning Community||1||0||1|
|TECP 86||Introduction to Linguistics||3||0||3|
|TECP 87||Language, Reading, and Literacy in ESOL||3||0||3|
|TECP 88||Curriculum & Design and Assessment in ESOL||43||0||4|
|TECP 90||Supervised Student Teaching/Theory, Practice, and Methods/Materials in ESOL Education or||2||30||12|
|TECP 91||Practicum, Methods/Materials, and Culture in ESOL Education||2||15||7|
|TECP 92||The Teaching Portfolio*||1||0||1|
* If a candidate does not complete the portfolio by the end of the student teaching semester, he/she will enroll in TECP 92: The Teaching Portfolio (1 credit seminar) to complete the portfolio.
CL - Number of lecture/classroom hours per week for the course
Curriculum for those entering program in 2014-15.
Through a combination of course work and field experience, candidates learn:
Goals: The goals of the ESOL Conversion Program are to prepare the candidate to bring to K-12 classrooms the knowledge, skills, expertise, innovation, and enthusiasm necessary to succeed as a teacher; to ensure the candidate is afforded opportunities for observation, exploration, and reflection both in and outside the classroom; to apply his/her content expertise and pedagogical principles in the assessment of learning in a practicum or student teaching experience working with English language learners.
This program is financial aid eligible.
- Applicants submit
- Once the application is complete, transcripts are reviewed by content faculty to assess the candidate’s fundamental knowledge of the NH content standards.
- Applicants are interviewed by NHTI TECP Faculty.
- Determination is made regarding acceptance and the applicant is notified of the decision.
- Candidates must hold a Baccalaureate and/or Master's Degree.
- Candidates must pass the PRAXIS™ Core Academic Skills for Educators Exam tests (http://www.ets.org/praxis/nh/requirements), if applicable (unless candidate holds a current teaching certification or has a Master’s degree) before being fully accepted into the program. In addition, the candidate must maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.75.
- A criminal record check will be required for working in the schools. During the interview, the Director of the Conversion Programs will discuss the requirements for Highly Qualified Teacher (HQT) with regard to ESOL teachers.
- Candidates must pass a criminal background check.
In order to be recommended for NH Certification a candidate must:
- Pass Praxis II in Content before student teaching/practicum.
- Successfully complete all required coursework.
- Successfully complete a supervised student teaching or practicum experience.
- Successfully complete an electronic portfolio that is approved by the education faculty.
NHTI has developed excellent practicum opportunities for our students to foster hands-on learning while simultaneously receiving credit. Nonetheless, the college's first priority must be to ensure that patients/clients/children/families are not placed in jeopardy by students during learning experiences. Therefore, students in internship, externship, practicum, service learning, and clinical experiences must demonstrate sufficient emotional stability to withstand the stresses, uncertainties and changing circumstances that characterize patient/client/child/family responsibilities. Furthermore, the student is expected to have the emotional stability required to exercise sound judgment, accept direction and guidance from a supervisor or faculty member, and establish rapport and maintain sensitive interpersonal relationships and confidentiality with employees, customers, and/or patients/clients/children and their families.
Teacher Education Conversion Programs (TECP)
Kelly Moore Dunn, Ed.D., Director TECP
(603) 271-6484 x4163
Fax: (603) 230-9307
31 College Drive
Concord, NH 03301